[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] intra_process_demo --> select timeout

bgmoon ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 17:38:43 UTC 2018

I'm new to ROS and definitely to ROS 2.  Looking to use ROS in a new robotics product under development.  I really like ROS 2 but have been struggling with video stuff for a couple of days.

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place.  Let me know the right place if this is wrong.

Dev environment is a VM under OS/X (10.13.6 on MacBook pro.)  VM is running Ubuntu Bionic.  I was running the VM under parallels 14, but ran into the issue that parallels STILL only supports openGL 1.2 --> so it might be good to warn folks that parallels is no good for ROS 2 development efforts.  This meant that the viz2 stuff won't work since it requires 3.2+.  I did run the video "intra_process" demos under parallel's no problem (other than being laggy.)

Purchased, downloaded and then rebuilt the world under VMware Fusion (11.0)  Was able to run rviz2 -- yea, but when I went back to re-test lag of intra_process I get a series of "select time" messages on the console.  Eventually, a single image is display.  I see my camera LED come on right away.  Anyone else see this issue?  Is it strictly related to "intra process" comms or something else?

A message like "select timeout" to mean invokes some kind of network issue, but I'm not sure what it could be.  I tried fiddling with the network setup (NAT/Bridged/various configs) and I tested that network is good and that multicast is enabled on all interfaces.   Still no joy.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/intra-process-demo-select-timeout/6370/1) or reply to this email to respond.