[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

gerkey ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:24:31 UTC 2018

[quote="Martin_Guenther, post:41, topic:6155, full:true"]
When members of the ROS2 TSC casually talk about stopping all further ROS1 releases, and OSRF makes no reassuring replies on this matter, I also get the feeling that this is premature, and people are planning to burn some bridges. Please don't take this as an attack, I am trying to explain the emotions behind some of the reactions here.
[/quote]

@Martin_Guenther I appreciate your providing context and I'm not at all surprised by the strong responses that have been elicited by this discussion. We're talking about a large and potentially high-impact change. I'm encouraged by the deeply felt reaction, as it confirms the significance of ROS in the global community.

With regard to reassuring replies from Open Robotics: we've (mostly) stayed out of the discussion on purpose, to keep the floor open for a broad sharing of opinions. Our team is internally conflicted on the question of when and how to stop releasing ROS 1. It's a project that some of us have spent 10+ years, in some cases our entire professional careers to date, working on, so we're loathe to let it go. But like almost everyone else working in this industry, we have more things that we'd like to do than we have time to do them.

It's great to see specific concerns and concrete proposals like those raised by @ooeygui, @mikeferguson, and @mkhansen. Those comments are exactly the kind of thing that we can take into consideration when looking at the pros and cons of the available strategies.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/46) or reply to this email to respond.