[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 perception porting status

Michael Ferguson ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 03:18:08 UTC 2018

As a maintainer and/or contributor of some of these, a few thoughts:

 * calibration - not sure it is worth actually porting to ROS2 -- while I spent a lot of time working on it at Willow Garage, it is still fairly PR2 specific. I think both the robot_calibration and industrial_calibration packages are in wider use, and more robot-generic. This calibration package is also mostly python-based, with hardly any tests, and so moving it to 3.0 will be quite a bit of work.

 * graft - was never really finished. I would consider it superseded by the robot_localization package, which has already been ported to ROS2 AFAIK.

 * sparse_bundle_adjustment / slam_karto - I would suggest that we not port sparse_bundle_adustment, and instead merge one of the several branches out there that implement better solvers for slam_karto -- for instance, using ceres-solver.

-Fergs

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-perception-porting-status/6231/2) or reply to this email to respond.