[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Announcing ROS snapshot repositories

ruffsl via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 00:42:48 UTC 2019

Awesome work! I've seen few folks who have been [ticking the OSRF docker image](https://github.com/osrf/docker_images/issues/197) repo for similar snapshotting capabilities. Although the DockerHub's registry allows you to [Pull an image by digest (immutable identifier)](https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/pull/#pull-an-image-by-digest-immutable-identifier), we've still encountered a few cases that would've been better served with these snapshot repositories. Perhaps folks could now use docker registries in courses with the snapshot repositories to archive installed binary images beyond the six months from the sync date.

For those who don't know, the Offical Library images for ROS are also archived in DockerHub's registry, the digests of which can be found by navigating the commit history of the Library's repo-info:

https://github.com/docker-library/repo-info/tree/master/repos/ros

Not sure how far back the archive stretches, but I can still pull [`ros:indigo-ros-core` tag from 2016](https://github.com/docker-library/repo-info/blob/5320e6ca207e0dd34752cdaa6b8ab6d77b72d2d1/repos/ros/remote/indigo-ros-core.md). Note: the offical library images themself however are still configured to use the primary repositories.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/announcing-ros-snapshot-repositories/7705/2) or reply to this email to respond.