[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROS2 vs ROS1 ? Or more like ROS2 + ROS1?

Dirk Thomas via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 15:55:44 UTC 2019

[quote="miguel_angel_rodrigu, post:3, topic:7319"]
Would it be more correct to say that **colcon** has been selected as build tool now for ROS2 and ROS1
[/quote]

No,not for both ROS versions. We only recommend `colcon` for ROS 2 at the moment.

[quote="miguel_angel_rodrigu, post:3, topic:7319"]
the previously used **cakin_tools** build tool only for ROS1
[/quote]

For ROS 1 we still recommend using `catkin_make` / `catkin_make_isolated` (`catkin_tools` is also not the recommended tool even though many users are successfully using it),

[quote="miguel_angel_rodrigu, post:3, topic:7319"]
And that where users in ROS1 one previously used **catkin_make** command now will use the **colcon build** command?
[/quote]

The following ticket contains some more context why we don't recommend using `colcon` for ROS 1 even though it should be perfectly able to do the job (and offer many more features than the currently recommeded tool): https://github.com/colcon/colcon-core/issues/149

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-vs-ros1-or-more-like-ros2-ros1/7319/4) or reply to this email to respond.