[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS 2 Customer Stories Report

Kyle Fazzari via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 15:11:26 UTC 2019

Thank you for conducting these interviews and writing the report, @davetcoleman. I agree with many of the issues outlined here, but I'm wondering if you're able to expand on a few of these points. Of course I realize you can only work with the data you have, so if you don't feel you can answer them feel free to say so.

**In "Robustness and reliability":**

> The more traditional integrators we talked to, who were non-ROS users, compared ROS users to"just kids playing" and observed that there has been a "high failure rate of companies that choose ROS". They also cited that using ROS would require their clients to employ highly skilled and costly robotics software engineers to maintain their automation programs.

I, too, have heard the "just kids playing." However, that last point is new to me. How does using ROS require their clients to employ more highly skilled and costly engineers than the ones they have? I always saw this as a benefit to ROS: it's not difficult to learn, and once you know it, you can apply that knowledge to a wide variety of robotic software. Without ROS (or something like it) every robot ends up more or less a custom job that requires more specialized engineers. I'm curious to learn more about this if you have any more to share.

**In "Leverage more best-practices":**

> The biggest examples of existing standards that ROS is not leveraging are the very mature internet tech stacks and exploding IoT standards, which have solved many similar problems to robotics.

Do you have any specific examples of the IoT standards folks are wanting to see implemented in ROS?

**In "Cloud-enabled capabilities":**

> The ROS 1 approach using the ROS Bridge package is hopelessly out of date and the scorn of many companies we talked to.

I can appreciate not liking the approach we have for this, but it's difficult to improve upon it without details of what exactly is disliked. Any chance you have more info?

**In "Deployment to production":**

> Arguably, this is the domain of commercial companies and not an open source project, but it seems there is room for creating best practices and tools for deployment.

Not a question, but a comment: there are open-source tools meant for this type of thing (we've been working on snaps, in particular).

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-2-customer-stories-report/8158/12) or reply to this email to respond.