[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS 2 Customer Stories Report

Dave Coleman via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 20:57:01 UTC 2019

[quote="kyrofa, post:12, topic:8158"]
How does using ROS require their clients to employ more highly skilled and costly engineers than the ones they have?
[/quote]

These integrators are used to teach pendants, touch screens, and maybe ladder logic in PLCs. So they're referring to using software engineering in general. Maybe not the best data point for what ROS is trying to solve.

[quote="kyrofa, post:12, topic:8158"]
Do you have any specific examples of the IoT standards folks are wanting to see implemented in ROS?
[/quote]

This is a bit out of my domain of expertise. Henrik Christensen gave a great talk at ROS-I Europe last December titled "Robotics and Automation in the Age of the API Economy" that strongly made this argument also (unfortunately the [video was not posted online](https://rosindustrial.org/events/2018/12/11/ros-industrial-conference-2018)). He said that the number of IoT devices and standards vastly outnumbers robotics, and are more mature largely for this reason.

[quote="kyrofa, post:12, topic:8158"]
Any chance you have more info?
[/quote]

I think this should go in a different thread. I'm sure plenty of people can provide feedback on this.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-2-customer-stories-report/8158/13) or reply to this email to respond.