Author: Andrew Straw
To: ros-users, tucker.hermans
Subject: Re: [ros-users] Prosilica Camera with kernel 2.6.32
On 06/18/2010 07:14 AM, Tucker Hermans wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has been able to get the prosilica camera
> driver working on linux kernel 2.6.32. After recently updating from
> 2.6.31 when I attempt to use the camera my system crashes, either by
> freezing entirely or restarting. I've managed once to get images
> streaming through prosilica's SampleViewer, but I have not been able
> to reproduce the results.
>
> If it helps, I'm using a prosilicia GC-1290 and running Ubuntu 10.04
> 64 bit. I've tried running both the x64 and x86 prosilica binaries,
> as well as the more recently released 1.22 sdk.

Using PvAPI 1.22, ubuntu 10.04 amd64, and nvidia OpenGL drivers, I was
getting hard restarts with the r8169 ethernet drivers and Prosilca
GE-680 camera. Switching to a $30 Intel card EXPI9301CTBLK solved the
problem. I think it's a bug in the r8169 kernel drivers that gets
triggered by the PvAPI. (I wasn't using ROS for this -- but it doesn't
seem like a ROS problem.)

By the way, I used to package and distribute PvAPI for Ubuntu when it
was distributed by Prosilica (with permission). Now that they have been
bought by AVT, I have asked AVT for permission to distribute this new
release (v 1.22). If you are interested in using my packages, please
email your AVT rep and ask them to respond to my email dated June 15.

-Andrew