Author: Polly Powledge
To: ros-users
Subject: [ros-users] Compiling OpenCV with IPP and TBB
Hi,

I'm new to ROS and I'm trying to compile OpenCV with IPP and TBB
support. I've read the (very helpful) install guide at
http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/InstallGuide and have a couple of
questions.

1) I've enabled IPP support, but don't see much of a performance
payoff. If I do a nm on the OpenCV .so's, I can see IPP symbols (e.g.
ippEnableCpu), so the linker's finding the IPP library. When I run my
ROS code I can use lsof to see that the correct with-IPP OpenCV
libraries are being loaded. Is there anything else I should check? Or
is it just that my application isn't using the OpenCV functions that
benefit from IPP?

I'm running a 32-bit Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) system with two Xeon chips.
I have version 6.1 of the IPP libs installed.

2) I'd like to use TBB as well. Per the Wiki, I've installed libtbb2
and libtbb-dev from a Lucid repo to get version 2.2 installed to the
standard locations, but when I use cmake-gui and hit configure, I
don't see an option to USE TBB. Is there something else I have to do?
Possible hint: I'm running the plain vanilla 2.6.31-21-generic kernel,
but in the TBB directories I see code that seems to be tied to the
2.6.16.21 kernel. Has anyone got OpenCV running with TBB on Karmic
with the Lucid versions of TBB? Or am I just swimming upstream on this
one?

Thanks in advance,

Polly