Author: Blaise Gassend
To: ros-users
Subject: Re: [ros-users] Implementing a new sensor (N900 accelerometer)
Hi Sebastien,

> About accelerometer data, should I use IMU data format ?
> (http://www.ros.org/doc/api/sensor_msgs/html/msg/Imu.html) ? Should I also
> publish raw data topics, as I sometime can see ?

If you can, I would recommend using the IMU data format. I would not see
the raw data topics as being as important.

> Wiimote package embeds everything related to the remote, accelerometer,
> LEDs, rumble, etc... When developing more code, should I create a (huge)
> N900 package, with accelerometers, camera, LEDs, sound recorder, etc... ?
> Should I define a stack for this purpose, with dedicated packages for each
> N900 "features" ?

Only one driver can access the wiimote at a time, so it ends up
requiring a monolithic driver. I suspect that in the case of your phone,
multiple drivers could simultaneously be accessing different parts of
the hardware, so I suspect that a single monolithic driver is not
necessary. In that case I would recommend splitting it up into
independent components whenever possible.

What to group into a stack is mainly determined by how you want to
manage releases. The model of one stack with separate packages for each
"feature" sounds fine to me.

Blaise