Re: [ros-users] roscpp on embedded devices with ethernet?

Forside
Vedhæftede filer:
Indlæg som e-mail
+ (text/plain)
+ (text/html)
Slet denne besked
Besvar denne besked
Skribent: User discussions
Til: User discussions
Emne: Re: [ros-users] roscpp on embedded devices with ethernet?
Hey guys,
I'd like to chime in as well. Here at Yujin we actually have both of the
mentioned embedded use cases. For the first - ROS running on a tiny Linux
on an (powerful) embedded device - Daniel started the development of
EmbeddedROS (http://www.ros.org/wiki/eros) some time ago. Target
microcontroller/-processor could be such like the ARM Cortex-A8/9 chips
(used on Beagleboard, Pandaboard etc.). In the second use case - let's say
ROS on bare-metal embedded devices - I am currently interested. My target
chip is the ARM Cortex-M3. In the long run I'd like to use this device to
link our CAN network with a SBC/PC via Ethernet. Also, this device should
act like a native ROS node, meaning that there should be a ROS driver
needed on the PC side.
I joined the SIG as well and am curious where we can push this!

Cheers,
Marcus

2012/9/13 Austin Hendrix <>

> I suspect that the hardest parts of getting roscpp to run on a bare-metal
> system will be dealing with boost, differences in how embedded vs Linux
> handle network sockets, and endianness problems that affect the
> serialization process.
>
> For a number of the embedded devices that I've seen with Ethernet, the
> device communicates over UDP or TCP to a ROS node on a Linux host; this
> includes the custom ethernet-attached cameras that we use on the PR2.
>
> -Austin
>

> On 09/12/2012 02:39 PM, Dave Curtis wrote:
>
>> Thanks Tully,
>>
>> If you have a pointer to some information on that project I'd like to
>> look at it.
>>
>> In the spirit of simply taking a shoe horn to roscpp, I spent a little
>> bit of time looking at the roscpp source, it wasn't clear just from
>> grep'ing the #include's if there are a lot of kernel dependencies. OTOH, I
>> can certainly imagine a lot of dynamic memory allocation going on, which
>> can be painful on a system without virtual memory and only a limited amount
>> of SRAM to start with.
>>
>> -dave
>>
>> On Sep 12, 2012, at 2:22 PM, Tully Foote wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> To answer your question directly I have seen a proof of concept with
>>> roscpp running on a bare metal arm chip. I don't know exactly what went
>>> into making that work.
>>>
>>> Morgan,
>>>
>>> Thanks for taking the initiative to setup the SIG. I've created a wiki
>>> page for the SIG at http://www.ros.org/wiki/SIG/**Embedded<http://www.ros.org/wiki/SIG/Embedded>
>>>
>>> Tully
>>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM, blackstag <> wrote:
>>> Hah ok will tell Paul to spell right. Is Ros serial using sockets for
>>> small embedded linux processors. It was implemented on the Vex Pro and
>>> Chumby in our testing.
>>>

>>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Dave Curtis <>
>>> wrote:
>>> OK, so I see the rosserial_embeddedlinux package supports TCP, I didn't
>>> see that before. But it does say "imbedded Linux", which is still
>>> considerably different from an MMU-less uCtlr. So, is
>>> rosserial_embeddedlinux more light weight than its name would imply?
>>>
>>> -dave
>>>
>>> On Sep 12, 2012, at 11:43 AM, blackstag wrote:
>>>
>>> Ros serial does have a TCP option now for wifi or ethernet.

>>> --
>>> Tully Foote
>>>
>>> (650) 475-2827

Marcus Liebhardt
Control Engineer
Yujin Robot
주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu, Seoul,
153-023, Republic of Korea
Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
Email:
Phone: +82-2-2104-0435