Author: William Woodall
Subject: Re: [ros-release] proposal for changing the installation page on the wiki
That organization scheme looks nice to me :).

Some comments:

- It would be nice to have a fallback for when a platform doesn't have
installation rules for a particular ROS distro. For example, on Gentoo if
you click Indigo, there is nothing, but it would be nice to have message
letting users know that a newer or older version of the instructions might
work.
- It looks like the there would be a lot of maintenance to maintain these
pages. It would good to spend some time trying to figure out how write
distro agnostic instructions for platforms who's instructions don't change
very much between distros. This is something the current system doesn't do
well either.

Both of those could be solved with some new wiki macros, maybe one that
acts more like a switch statement (with a default case for unsupported ROS
distros). If you figure out the way those macro's should behave I'd try to
help you get them implemented.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM, Vincent Rabaud via ros-release <

>>> http://wiki.ros.org/Windows
>>> http://wiki.ros.org/SourceInstallation
>>> Each page would itself have the usual ROS-distro macro (
>>> http://wiki.ros.org/WikiMacros#Version) that we love so much.
>>>
>>> I guess copying the content of the current/old pages will be the way to
>>> go (compared to linking). We will obviously keep the old links / pages
>>> valid.
>>>
>>> Opinions ?

>> --
>> Ugo Cupcic*Head of Software*+44 20 7700
>> www.shadowrobot.com

>> *Shadow Robot Company Ltd.*
>> 251 Liverpool Road, N1 1LX, UK
>> Registered Number 3308007 (England & Wales)
>>
>> RoNeX - Building Robots with ROS Made Easy
>> http://www.shadowrobot.com/products/ronex/

William Woodall
ROS Development Team

http://wjwwood.io/