Author: Jon Binney
To: Jit Ray Chowdhury, User discussions
Subject: Re: [ros-users] Some ROS devs got frustrated with Catkin. You won't believe what happened next!
Jonathan, thanks for taking the time to write an awesome tool. The feature
set is great.

I'd like to point out, though, that a lot of people seem to have adopted
catkin tools already, even though it is still in a fairly "beta" state.
There's a list of some of the problems here:
https://github.com/catkin/catkin_tools/issues/90

The most serious bug that I run into regularly is that catkin tools can
create a corrupted ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, causing ROS commands to fail to find
some packages that you compiled:
https://github.com/catkin/catkin_tools/issues/78

This happens randomly (it is a concurrency issue with running multiple
catkin processes with the same devel space). I'd suggest that people stick
with catkin_make for now unless they have a good understanding of the
limitations and bugs in catkin tools.

Jon

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:56 AM, Jit Ray Chowdhury via ros-users <