Author: Jonathan Bohren via ros-users
To: ros-users
CC: Jonathan Bohren
Subject: [ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

[quote="facontidavide, post:73, topic:6155"]

@jbohren I find your comments well-intentioned but a little naive. It believe that it is obvious that OSRF **should** prioritize its clients over the entire capital C Community.

[/quote]

Haha, is that how my comments read? I definitely wasn't suggesting that Open Robotics changes its priorities. I think Open Robotics should chase all the money it can find.

What I'm saying is that **members of the community** need to understand what their relationship is to Open Robotics, so that they understand how they need to contribute and how the ROS and ros2 strategy relate to their needs and project timelines. It should be extremely clear what the trades are between using both given a certain project context and timeline, and right now, I don't think that's the case.

When I say "maybe it's worth taking another look" at the business relationships between Open Robotics and members of the community (as well as between community members themselves) it's because such an analysis might reveal a market with people who have money and who are willing to spend it. They might also reveal people with *time* and who are willing to spend it. Additionally, if someone comes onto this forum and says "why isn't Open Robotics focusing on X, because I need X" such a comment can be grounded in one of these market segments.

[quote="facontidavide, post:73, topic:6155"]

If you have been in robotics for more than 10 years, like me, you will recognize the incredible value that Willow Garage and later OSRF created for the entire community. But when something is free on the internet, it is easy to forget that.

[/quote]

Wait, who's forgetting that?

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/74) or reply to this email to respond.