[Ros-release] Debian source build failed -- what to do?

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 22:49:13 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Vincent Rabaud
<vrabaud at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> First thing is to go here:
> http://www.ros.org/debbuild/fuerte.html
>
> If it is red, then it failed during the build. You need to go to the farm
> and find the corresponding job that
> failed http://build.willowgarage.com/ (but a link should be provided in the
> mail you receive)

> If it is yellow, the sourcedeb could not be generated and there is a problem
> with your dependencies.

It is yellow, and I got the cryptic message mentioned in my initial e-mail.

> Click on the name of your package
> on http://www.ros.org/debbuild/fuerte.html and you get to:
> https://code.ros.org/svn/release/download/stacks/art_vehicle/art_vehicle-0.4.2/
>
> Open up the yaml file and you'll see there is no precise. There was probably
> a message given to you when you did a ros release. To fix it, you first need
> to check that the dependencies are all proper for precise in
> https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/blob/master/rosdep/base.yaml (by checking
> packages.ubuntu.com/precise/your_dependency_name ) and if so, you probably
> just need to do a rosdep update before your next release.

Thanks for explaining, Vincent.

So, you believe this is a rosdep problem?

I can't see any art_vehicle rosdeps (there are many) that are not
defined and available on Precise.

When I build it myself with Fuerte on Precise, "rosdep install
art_vehicle" works fine and everything compiles cleanly. When I ran
the pre-release tests it all worked.

Is it certain that the Debian build machines all have up-to-date
rosdep information?

I've been releasing this stack for two years now, on every ROS version
since C-turtle. With Fuerte, releases seem to have gotten more
difficult. Before, stack dependencies were easy to manage. Now most
dependencies are rosdeps. We need better tools for detecting and
diagnosing these kinds of problems.

What method should I use to avoid problems like this in the future?

Shouldn't the pre-release tests check for it?

Thanks for the help,
--
 joq