[ros-release] Fwd: Torrents of Emails

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Tue Apr 1 22:56:01 UTC 2014

The farm lost connection to Github, so all jobs are failing.

I don't see a good way for us to automatically tell the difference between
you put something in your package which causes it to fail (bad url or bug)
and we can't reach github.

I agree that it sucks to get lots of emails about this, but I can't think
of any way to improve it. I am open to suggestions on how to do that.

On the front of "hard to understand", the error say this:

Cloning the remote Git repository
> Cloning repository git://github.com/ros-infrastructure/buildfarm.git
> Fetching upstream changes from git://
> github.com/ros-infrastructure/buildfarm.git
> ERROR: Error cloning remote repo 'origin'

That seems pretty obvious to me that it couldn't fetch upstream changes
from github.com...

Again, not sure how this could be more specific, but I am open to
suggestions.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Austin Hendrix <legotown at aol.com> wrote:

> 1) you're a maintainer, so you're automatically subscribed. There isn't
> any more granularity to the email settings than that.
> 2) There aren't any settings for this that I'm aware of, but there may be
> an alternate jenkins notification plugin that can do this. It's probably
> worth looking into.
> 3) yeah... I really can't help you here
>
> Not a real solution, but I filter the emails that I get from jenkins into
> a separate tag/folder in my email client, so that I can put off looking at
> them until later.
>
> -Austin
>
> On Apr 1, 2014, at 3:45 PM, David Lu!! <davidlu at wustl.edu> wrote:
>
> > So I'd like to start a hopefully constructive discussion of the build
> > farm's email practices. I've attached a picture of the onslaught my
> > inbox just received. I'm fairly certain none of the builds failing is
> > my fault. But it does lead me to some questions.
> >
> > 1) Are there settings for email that I haven't set to reduce the
> > number of emails I get? Or am I automatically subscribed because I'm a
> > maintainer?
> > 2) Is there a way to condense the emails? If I got a single email
> > telling me which packages I maintain failed to build, but this seems a
> > bit much.
> > 3) I've whined about this before, but is there some way we can make
> > the error messages more legible? I'm sure for people familiar with the
> > build farm, the errors may make sense, but as a maintainer, I have no
> > idea what I'm supposed to do. If the answer is nothing, why am I
> > getting email?
> >
> > I realize accomplishing some of these tasks will likely involve
> > substantial amounts of work, but I feel it merits discussion
> > nonetheless.
> >
> > -David
> > <Screenshot from 2014-04-01
> > ros-release mailing list