[ros-users] Setting up tilt unit for the point cloud

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu Aug 19 17:44:45 UTC 2010

Sanja,
With respect to the tf data you need I'd suggest that you look at the tf
tutorials in section 4
http://www.ros.org/wiki/tf/Tutorials#Setting_up_your_robot_with_tf  What you
need to do is at least publish tf transformations between the frame of the
laser and the frame into which you want to aggregate them.

There's also a tutorial of the assembler here which you many find useful
http://www.ros.org/wiki/laser_assembler/Tutorials/HowToAssembleLaserScans

Tully

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Radu Bogdan Rusu <rusu at willowgarage.com>wrote:

> Sanja,
>
> Can you have a look at the pr2_tilt_laser_interface package? We simplified
> the interface and made it an action, so it
> should be easier to assemble laser scans.
>

> http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/Convert-Distance-Data-to-Position-td1187843.html#a1209368
>
> Cheers,
> Radu.
>
> On 08/19/2010 08:26 AM, Sanja Popovic wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to set up my servo and Hokuyo to get the point cloud by
> using laser_assembler. By looking at the source code, I've figured out that
> it just accumulates the LaserScans and merges them in the PointCloud. What I
> don't see is how does it deal with the fact that laser is moving while
> tilting. Is this something I need to set with my tilting node? What is my
> tilting node supposed to publish in order for the TF to work properly when
> assembling?
> >
> > I am sorry for possible missing the obvious, I am kind of clueless. Any
> help would be highly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Sanja

Tully Foote