[ros-users] Obstacles(Grid Cell) does not show in rviz for naviation package

chris_li gang.li at okstate.edu
Thu Dec 16 20:36:29 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have followed navigation package tutorial. With the help of this community
I got most of the things working.

But there is one thing I am still stuck in. I followed
http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/Using%20rviz%20with%20the%20Navigation%20Stack
, trying to use rviz for navigation package.
Everything works except Obstacles(grid cells) and Inflated Obstacles(grid
cells) are not showing.

I am able to link them to topics : /local_costmap/obstacles and
local_costmap/inflated_obstacles. And If I add Laser Scan to rviz, I can see
the laser scan result that means my hokuyo laser is working fine.  my
hokuyo_node is publishing /scan

Below is my setup in the yaml file for laser:

observation_sources: laser_scan_sensor

laser_scan_sensor: {sensor_frame: laser, data_type: LaserScan, topic: /scan,
marking: true, clearing: true}

I think /scan is supposed to passing laser scan message which will be turned
into message for /local_costmap/obstacles, isn't it? If my /scan topic is
functioning then why move_base is not generating local_costmap/obstacles?
(actually I can see the /local_costmap/obstacles topic is being published,
it just can be shown in rviz).

Could anybody give some advice  on it?

Thanks.

Chris