[ros-users] roshlets

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Dec 29 08:48:48 UTC 2010

Hi Patrick,

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Patrick Bouffard
<bouffard at eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about roshlets. According to the wiki the following
> should work:
>
> {{{
> $ rosrun rosh roshlet.py rosh/echolet.py --plugins=rosh_common,rosh_geometry
> Usage: roshlet.py pkg/Type [plugins...]
>
> roshlet.py: error: no such option: --plugins
> }}}
>
> .. removing the --plugins option doesn't help either:
>
> {{{
> $ rosrun rosh roshlet.py rosh/echolet.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/opt/ros/unstable/stacks/roshpit/rosh/nodes/roshlet.py", line
> 84, in <module>
>    roshlet_main()
>  File "/opt/ros/unstable/stacks/roshpit/rosh/nodes/roshlet.py", line
> 78, in roshlet_main
>    roshlet_standalone(name, package, type_, args[1:])
>  File "/opt/ros/unstable/stacks/roshpit/rosh/nodes/roshlet.py", line
> 47, in roshlet_standalone
>    rosh.impl.roshlets.standalone(name, package, type_, plugins)
> TypeError: standalone() takes exactly 3 arguments (4 given)
> }}}
>
> However, I notice that the following works:
>
> {{{
> $ rosrun rosh rosh rosh/echolet.py --plugins=rosh_common,rosh_geometry
> }}}
>
> But, what if I want to access command-line arguments in my roshlet? If
> I provide additional arguments then rosh complains:
>
> {{{
> $ rosrun rosh rosh rosh/echolet.py arg1 arg2
> Usage: rosh pkg/Type [options]
>
> rosh: error: Please specify only one roshlet pkg/Type
> }}}

roshlets aren't fully baked yet, in part because of the problem you
describe.  The final syntax I'm shooting for is:

rosrun rosh rosh --plugins=rosh_common,rosh_geometry rosh/echolet.py [args...]

but I haven't had time to button up rosh yet for release.   I need to
take care of the API review items [1] and final documentation review,
but ros/ros_comm/openni have had priority recently.  We decided not to
make rosh 1.0 for Diamondback, which means that I'll be able to
iterate it during the Diamondback cycle (new features, but
backwards-compatible).

 - Ken

[1]: http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosh/Reviews/2010-10_API_Review