[ros-users] Digital Camera 1394 in ROS?

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Wed Mar 10 17:36:11 UTC 2010

> > - cameradc1394 links the the ROS image libraries in order to
> > serialize/convert the message correctly, display the image, and
> > undistort it (radial distortion). You can disable the display
> > dynamically, so the the only other place where opencv would be used is
> > for undistortion and sending messages. Fortunately, both of these are
> > not that heavy on computation, so your system should handle it.

The architecture we have opted for at Willow Garage is to have any image
conversion happen in image_proc. That allows the camera drivers
themselves to have minimal dependencies. The radial undistortion could
definitely happen in image_proc, unless you are doing a higher order
correction than we do. Could you elaborate on how opencv is being used
for sending messages. Are you doing color encoding conversions using it,
or something else? Color encoding conversions are also handled by
image_proc for us.

> A good review might have caught the set_camera_info change, as well. I
> have so far been unable to display 1394 camera images with rviz. That
> may be the reason.

set_camera_info shouldn't affect rviz's ability to view the image. It is
only used to calibrate the camera. One thing that might prevent rviz
from viewing the image is if the image is encoded using an unsupported
color encoding. Have you tried doing a:

rostopic echo image_topic/encoding

That would show you how the colors are encoded.

Blaise