[ros-users] frame_id naming convention

Wim Meeussen meeussen at willowgarage.com
Fri May 14 23:39:43 UTC 2010

> Wim, I'm not sure I understand this rationale.  Somewhere someone is
> chaining all the transforms and computing the shallow tree.

The shallow tree is only computed once, and then published over tf. So
every tf listener can efficiently compute transformations between
links. If we publish the more natural tree, then every single tf
listener would have to do extra computations to chain links together.

> Why not just
> publish a more "natural" tree, along with the pre-computed transforms that
> go into the shallow tree?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Tf doesn't allow us to
publish the same tree twice.

Wim

Wim Meeussen
Willow Garage Inc.