[ros-users] ros debian

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Wed May 26 19:26:35 UTC 2010

There are several ways to get the boostrap build if you installed with
"--nobuild".

The easiest way is to "cd ~/ros && make" Where you change ~/ros to the
directory you copied things into.

You can also run "rosmake --rosdep-install --bootstrap" which is what the
above will call through to.

Note: you will have to have your package paths setup before you do either of
these.  And the paths in the setup.sh file may need to change if you are a
different user or a different directory on the new machine.

Tully

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Miguel Prada Sarasola <
miguel.register at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> I didn't think that rosinstall compiled anything, but now that you
> mention, it seems pretty obvious that it must compile some of the most
> basic utilities (i.e. roscd, rosmake, etc). Am I wrong?
>
> And in case those are compiled by rosinstall, which would be the best
> way to compile them if you specify "--nobuild" option? I can see there's
> an "--update" option for rosinstall, would this be the way?
>
> Regards,
> Miguel.
>
> El mié, 26-05-2010 a las 12:07 -0700, Josh Faust escribió:
> > Hi Narasimhan,
> >
> > If you modify the rosinstall invokation to include "--nobuild", I
> > believe it will just download the source from svn and not try to
> > build.  You should then be able to copy the files to your usb key.  It
> > won't affect anything outside the directory you specify on the command
> > line (in the examples on that page, ~/ros).
> >
> > Josh
> >
> > On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Narasimhan Rajagopal
> > <narasimhan1990 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> >         now i don't want to screw my already installed ros and i don't
> >         want two diff versions in my pc. so here's what i'm gonna do.
> >
> >         1. i follow Miguel Prada's advice and install using svn method
> >         (http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Installation/Ubuntu/SVN  ) and
> >         follow till step 1.2.
> >
> >         2. then i copy the directory of the source code to my usb
> >         drive
> >
> >         3. i'll copy the files from usb to the college pc(running
> >         debian)
> >
> >         4. i'll continue the steps after 1.2.
> >
> >         5. i delete the directory from my home pc.
> >
> >         so if i follow these steps my original ros will be intact
> >         right? or should i run some commands to set it right.

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.
tfoote at willowgarage.com