[ros-users] ros debian

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu May 27 16:41:43 UTC 2010

Narasimhan,
Do you have zero internet access?  We have not worked on the case of
installing to a computer while offline.  rosdep pulls debian packages from
apt when it runs if they are not already installed.  And some of the 3rd
party code is pulled as tarballs during the make process.   In terms of
effort, finding a way to get your computer a connection to the internet will
likely be easier than getting all the necessary files and copying them
across.

Other options you might consider is installing your choice of OS on a large
USB stick (~8Gb if you want all of ros-pkg too) and booting to it
externally.  This will allow you to boot it at home and install onto it, and
then boot it at work.  Or if you can get physical access to the machine,
take it home install it and bring it back.

I suggest that you push back on your system administrator and try to figure
out the proxy issue.  It will likely be the least effort approach.

Tully

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:09 AM, Bill Morris <morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu>wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 03:53 -0700, Narasimhan wrote:
> > i tried tully's method. it almost worked.
> > i downloaded the svn for ros-boxturtle-base using --nobuild.
> > i copied the entire ros folder in my home directory to usb. from usb i
> > pasted it to home folder of campus pc. i edited the setup.sh.
> > i ran "cd ~/ros && make"  it said makefile not found.
> > then i navigated to ~\ros and found that there is no makefile. there were
> > ros folder, stack folder, setup.sh and this.install.
> > then when i went inside the ros folder(~\ros\ros) the makefile was there.
> > so i tried  "cd ~/ros/ros && make" it did work. some sequence of commands
> > got executed and it was followed by some random junk(the entire terminal
> > screen was full of junk for some 10 min) and it was followed by some
> > sequence of commands and finally a build error(i forgot the number).
> > then i tried some few commands. rosls roscd and few other commands worked
> > but rosdep and rosmake(same junk appeared for 10min followed by error)
> > didn't work.
> >
> > so can someone suggest some other method
>
> Things to try
>
> setup.sh needs to be run to setup your paths.
>
> you can either run
> $ source ~/ros/setup.sh
>
> or you can add
> source ~/ros/setup.sh
> to the end of the file ~/.bashrc
>
> rosmake should work at this point
>
> There are often no makefiles because cmake generates the makesfiles
> once rosmake is working try running

> $ rosdep install ros
>
> Then make ros, this will take a while.
> $ rosmake ros
>
> After this you should be able to run roscore
> $ roscore
>
> At this point you should be able to start the tutorials
>
> One way to manually make the makefiles which sometimes fixes things is
> to try this in the directory where the makefile is missing
> $  cmake CMakeLists.txt

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.