[ros-users] Special Thanksgiving Edition 0.5 of PCL! Standalone PCL released!

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs at aist.go.jp
Thu Nov 25 09:51:56 UTC 2010

Hi all,

For all of us who plan to spend Thanksgiving working (perhaps we enjoy
coding more than turkey, or it could just be that we don't live in the
US...), there's a brand new release of PCL. This brings it up to 0.5.
(I'm reliably informed that this makes it "half-way decent.") The
changelist is in the usual place:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/point_cloud_perception/ChangeList

In conjunction with the 0.5 release, we have just put the finishing
touches on a standalone distribution of PCL. This means that those of
you who are not using ROS can now use PCL in your applications.

Instructions and downloads for the standalone version are available here:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/pcl/standalone

It's still somewhat unrefined, and we need to work with some of the
dependencies to make installation easier. Look for many improvements as
we head towards 1.0!

Thanks again to all the contributors!

Geoff