[ros-users] common_msgs API change proposals required to be reviewed by October 22nd

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Oct 15 09:02:09 UTC 2010

Am 08.10.2010 19:51, schrieb Tully Foote:
> If you want changes in common_msgs for diamondback please pay attention.

I'm not sure if that's worth a review or change, or if I'm just unaware
of some details. But I always wondered why there is a difference between
geometry_msgs::Pose[Stamped] and Transform[Stamped]. The data fields are
identical, the only difference I see is semantically (translation as
"Vector3" vs position as "Point", rotation vs orientation). This makes a
quick (& efficient) conversion between the two not possible, the single
fields have to be copied instead (which I see myself doing quite often
e.g. in a localization code; best example: [1]).

This boils down to Point vs. Translation, is there a reason to have
both? Mathematically this is really the same (a point is just a
translation from the origin), with only a very small semantic difference
(which could be expressed in the variable or topic name at hand, if needed).

[1]
http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/RobotSetup/Odom#Writing_the_Code

Best regards,
Armin
--
Armin Hornung                              Albert-Ludwigs-Universität
www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~hornunga   Dept. of Computer Science