[ros-users] ROS on openSuse 11.2

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Wed Oct 27 19:52:36 UTC 2010

Hi Ben,
It should be possible.  I don't know how recently people have tried those
instructions.  The biggest challenge you will face is that I see that SuSE
is not detected by rosdep, and I don't think that there are any definitions
of rosdeps for SuSE either.

This gives you two options.  One is to manually install all the rosdeps
manually.  The other option is to patch rosdep to support SuSE.  There are
two parts to this.  One is adding the OS detector,
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosdep/Tutorials/Add%20Support%20for%20an%20OS%20to%20rosdep
and the other is to add SuSE defintions for all the things in rosdep.yaml
files,
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosdep/Tutorials/Add%20new%20OS%20to%20rosdep.yaml

I would recommend option 2.  It is a little bit more work, but that likely
will save you work in the long run since you don't have to disable rosdep
checking.  Also the incremental difference in effort is small and a lot of
SuSE users would be appreciative.

The graphics cards may be a problem for visualization, but often you won't
know until you try.  Some collected statistics
http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/SystemRequirements

Let me know if I can help at all.  It would be great to be able to improve
support for SuSE.
Tully

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Benjamin Cohen <bencohen2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm interesting in installing ROS on a lab full of opensuse machines and I
> was wondering if anyone out there who's running opensuse can give me any
> advice or warnings of potential problems that aren't included on the
> installation page -->
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/cturtle/Installation/OpenSUSE.
>
> The machines are each running OpenSuse 11.2 (64-bit) on an amd X2 with 4GB
> ram. Not sure yet of the vid cards, but I think they are uber-cheap ATI
> cards.
>
> thanks,
> -- ben

Tully Foote