[ros-users] Is there any sample code for ROS robots control?

JIA Pei jp4work at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 01:33:46 UTC 2010

Hi, John:

Sorry to bother you again.

1)
I checked out pr2_2dnav_gazebo and put it under the corresponding folder of
my installed ROS.
say:   /opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/wg_robots_gezebo/pr2_2dnav_gazebo

When I do roslaunch
"roslaunch pr2_2dnav_gazebo pr2-armless-wg-fake_localization.launch"
I got 'ROBOT' is not set

jiapei at jiapei-laptop:/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/wg_robots_gezebo$ roslaunch
> pr2_2dnav_gazebo pr2-armless-wg-fake_localization.launch
> ... logging to
> /home/jiapei/.ros/log/73e7b77a-bd42-11df-8314-0040d0a919ff/roslaunch-jiapei-laptop-4044.log
> Checking log directory for disk usage. This may take awhile.
> Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
> Done checking log file disk usage. Usage is <1GB.
>
> environment variable 'ROBOT' is not set

Then, I set 'ROBOT' as "PR2" (I just guessed this, how to set
this environment variable? )
This time, I obtained  "Invalid roslaunch XML syntax: [Errno 2] No such file
or directory" .

jiapei at jiapei-laptop:/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/wg_robots_gezebo$ export
>> ROBOT=PR2
>
> jiapei at jiapei-laptop:/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/wg_robots_gezebo$ roslaunch
>> pr2_2dnav_gazebo pr2-armless-wg-fake_localization.launch
>
> ... logging to
>> /home/jiapei/.ros/log/db1290a0-bd42-11df-b443-0040d0a919ff/roslaunch-jiapei-laptop-4091.log
>
> Checking log directory for disk usage. This may take awhile.
>
> Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
>
> Done checking log file disk usage. Usage is <1GB.
>

>> while processing
>> /opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/wg_robots_gezebo/pr2_2dnav_gazebo/2dnav-stack-fake_localization.launch:
>
> while processing
>> /opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/pr2_navigation/pr2_navigation_global/move_base.xml:
>>

> while processing
>> /opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/pr2_common/pr2_machine/PR2.machine:
>>

> Invalid roslaunch XML syntax: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
>> u'/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/pr2_common/pr2_machine/PR2.machine'

So, my first question is: How to set 'ROBOT'  for this pr2 2D navigation
simulation?

2) My 2nd question is I found I've installed
 "ros-cturtle-simulator-gazebo",
I'm wondering what are the connections between "pr2_2dnav_gazebo"
and "ros-cturtle-simulator-gazebo" ?
And, why "pr2_2dnav_gazebo" is not packaged into Ubuntu repository for
automatic installation?

By the way, from the name of "ros-cturtle-simulator-gazebo",
I'm guessing, by using "ros-cturtle-simulator-gazebo" only,
am I able to simulate the robots navigation already, without checking
out "pr2_2dnav_gazebo" ?
Or, "ros" refers to the system without specifying a particular robot,
while "pr2" is a specific robot.
We have to specify a type of robot before its navigation?

Sorry for my entry-level questions, but I really need your help.

Best Regards
JIA

Welcome to Vision Open
http://www.visionopen.com