[ros-users] ROSjava and non-standard messages

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Mon Aug 15 16:36:40 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Mark Rowan <m.s.rowan at cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been getting to grips with ROSjava but I'm aware that the
> mechanism of importing messages has changed recently.
>
> The ROS wiki says:
>  "Unlike rocpp, rospy, and roslisp, generated ROS messages are not
> located within their package. They are located within the local .ros
> preferences folder in ./ros/rosjava/lib "
> and
>  "To import a specific message, you must first declare a dependency
> on that message's package in your manifest. This will make sure that
> the message's jar file is added to your java class path."
>
> But my .ros/rosjava/lib directory only contains a handful of message
> JARs (rosgraph_msgs, std_msgs, etc.) and none of the non-standard ones
> (e.g. nav_msgs, geometry_msgs).
>
> 1). How do I obtain / compile the remaining message types, e.g.
> nav_msgs, so they can be added to my ROSjava code?

Per above, you declare a dependency on nav_msgs and you also have to
run rosmake.

> 2). Does this now mean that I *have* to use rosmake (including making
> required changes to the manifest file, etc) on my Java code?
> Previously I was quite happy editing code, compiling it using javac,
> and running it using "rosrun rosjava <package>.<class>" on the command
> line.

http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosjava/Overview/Build#Building_your_ROS_package

"After you have run rosmake my_pkg, you can use ant to do subsequent
builds that are much quicker."

... you can also do whatever you wish by hand, though using ant is a
lot easier that running javac.

HTH,
Ken