[ros-users] ROS for Windows via the mingw cross compiler

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 14:31:03 UTC 2011

On 11 March 2011 07:16, Morgan Cormier <MCormier at coroware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in doing a Qt interface with ROS and found this tutorial which does exactly what I want :
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/mingw_cross/Tutorials/cross_platform_qt_ros
>
> I experience some problems during the installation. When i compile mingw_cross (roscd mingw_cross;make) the compilation stop after downloading libpng, it says that the checksum is wrong.
>
> I installed it using : http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/  and could finally do all the steps in the tutorial.
> Another problem occured at this point, I couldn't compile because of this error :
>
> /opt/mingw/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libboost_signals-mt.a: member /opt/mingw/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libboost_signals-mt.a(trackable.o) in archive is not an object
>
> Do you know how to solve this problem?
>
> Thank you,

Just a quick reply before I crash for the night - will look at it
again tomorrow.

libpng checksum : we found a couple of broken link problems like this
a couple of weeks ago, but that was because we were using mingw_2.16
which was a bit dated. I upgraded the links in eros to actually use
that tarball you downloaded (version 2.18), so can you make sure you
reinstall, or at least svn update your eros again? We've fixed one or
two other bugs in the meantime as well that you might need.

The latter problem is a bit harder - I haven't come across that one
before. Some links that might be relevant:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=4036&context=SSCQ43Z&uid=swg21430166&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/805555/ld-linker-question-the-whole-archive-option

I noticed that rosbuild/public.cmake is setting this flag
(--whole-archive) when building statics. I assume that its because
there's ros code that may fail without the setting as illustrated in
the second link above. I'll do some testing tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for finding yourself in the
position of being a very early tester!

Regards,
Daniel Stonier.