[ros-users] libopencv

Jochen Sprickerhof ros-users at jochen.sprickerhof.de
Fri Nov 11 12:22:14 UTC 2011

* Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda <leo at alaxarxa.net> [2011-11-11 11:26]:
> A Dijous 10 Novembre 2011, Jochen Sprickerhof va escriure:
> > * Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda <leo at alaxarxa.net> [2011-11-10 18:03]:
> > [..]
> > > well, I agree with you. It's frustrating for the Debian people (at last
> for
> > > me) cannot compile (or create) the debs packages of ros. Also, I would
> like to
> > > introduce the problem that for a system admin, like me, ros works so well
> in a
> > > box alone, with one user that it's also root(sudo), but it's not easy to
> > > maintain a group of boxes with ros if you don't want to give sudo
> permissions
> > > to the users.
> >
> > what's your problem here? Apart from ps3joy.py (which could run as a
> > service) and sixpair I haven't found a problem till now.
>
> well my problem is basically that I don't have packages for a debian
> distribution. So, if you have a group of boxes and a group of users that use
> ros, you have to take care how to install ros in the different boxes.

I haven't tried for Debian stable but as I mentioned, for testing and
unstable the debs are working fine.

> If the boxes are similar (amd64 or i386) you can make one installation and
> then rsync between boxes or share the directory (nfs, samba, etc).

I'm installing Debian (or Ubuntu) as normal, add ROS to the sources,
install it and you are done.

> Another problem is that the default umask in a debian distro is 0022 or 0002,
> so you have to take care that all the users have the umask adecuately in the
> way that if they compile a package, all the users group could erase or
> recompile that package.

Why would you allow users to erase or recompile packages? The concept
is, that you have one system installation and users create overlays with
what they need in addition.