[ros-users] REP 114: rospkg standalone library

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue Sep 6 21:59:52 UTC 2011

A new version of REP 114 is now available:

http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0114.html

The sphinx API docs are also updated.  To test the standalone
infrastructure, the docs are hosted on readthedocs.org:

http://readthedocs.org/docs/rospkg/en/latest/

The main changes are:

 1. rosdistro APIs are now part of rospkg.  I refactored rosdistro to
no longer depend on vcstools and cleaned up the API. This change will
enable more tools to depend on the standalone toolchain.

 2. Changed OS version semantics in os_detect.  A version is now a
version number; there is a separate accessor for OS codenames (e.g.
'hardy').

SVN diff is attached for comparison.

 - Ken

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Brian Gerkey <gerkey at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>> +1.
>>
>> What should we do with rospack?  Seems like the same reasoning that
>> leads to splitting out rospkg would suggest separate packaging of
>> rospack (and rosstack).
>
> Yes, that is the plan.   They will be optional dependencies of rospkg,
> and eventually all would be combined into a 'ros' bootstrap debian
> that was distribution-independent.   It's also possible that some of
> the other binaries in ros/bin could go in this -- in particular, the
> python scripts that follow the 'import foo; foo.main()' sort of
> pattern.
>
> My only concern with rospack is librospack, which could use some
> improvements before it goes bigger.
>
>  - Ken
>
>>        brian.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>>> I have posted a draft REP 114: rospkg standalone library. It is
>>> intended as a rewrite of the roslib Python library, this time with a
>>> publicly supported API.  It is also standalone, i.e. it can be
>>> installed separately from ROS.  The intent for this library is to
>>> support develop of ROS tools that are decoupled from a particular ROS
>>> distribution release as well as become the basis for future ROS tool
>>> bootstrapping.
>>>
>>> http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0114.html
>>>
>>> At its heart it can be thought of as a Python rospack/rosstack, though
>>> it goes a little beyond that.   The first targeted use of the rospkg
>>> library is a rewrite of the rosdep library to also be standalone.
>>>
>>> The REP notes current open questions/issues for discussion.
>>>
>>> I have also written documentation here:
>>>
>>> http://www.ros.org/doc/api/rospkg/html/sphinx/html/
>>>
>>> It includes the start of a developer's guide for those that wish to
>>> also develop/maintain this library.  As this library may become the
>>> bootstrap library for ROS in the future, I encourage those that are
>>> interested to get involved.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Ken