[ros-users] Enterprise Version of ROS

Weißhardt, Florian Florian.Weisshardt at ipa.fraunhofer.de
Tue Apr 24 15:45:39 UTC 2012

Dear ROS Enterprise/ROS Industrial enthusiasts,

It is great to hear that some people and institutions are forming a group now to bring ROS into a challenging field of application: the industrial field. This is well inline with the Fraunhofer mission of applied research and techtransfer "bridging the gap between research and industry". We, the Service Robotic group at Fraunhofer IPA, are very much interested in joining this process.

For those who don't know us so far: Fraunhofer Association is a German Non-Profit Research organization and our institute Fraunhofer IPA has been, among others, focusing on Service Robotics in the domestic and industrial field for over 50 years. We have been using ROS for over 3 years now and we are developing open source software in more 20 ROS Stacks as well as supporting the Care-O-bot platform. Besides that we have projects together with industrial companies focusing on Service Robotic applications. We already started some time ago with transferring (at least some parts of) ROS to these industrial projects and of course are curious about seeing more of ROS in this field. One example is a successful cooperation with Schunk where we offer our support for industrial partners using ROS in conjunction with Schunk products like Powercubes, Powerballs, light-weight arm LWA3 and industrial grippers.

Unfortunately we cannot participate in some personal meeting around ICRA/ROSCON but still we would like to state our interest in actively participating in an ROS Industrial group forming an Enterprise version of ROS.

We would be happy to discuss further details and our possible contributions with you.

Best regards,

Florian Weisshardt

---
Dipl.-Ing. Florian Weißhardt

Fraunhofer IPA, Abt. 320/Roboter- und Assistenzsysteme
Nobelstrasse 12, D-70569 Stuttgart (Germany)
Phone +49(0)711-970-1046,
Fax +49(0)711-970-1008
http://www.ipa.fraunhofer.de/ <http://www.ipa.fraunhofer.de/>