[ros-users] rosjava on android not working

Damon Kohler damonkohler at google.com
Fri Jan 13 08:39:06 UTC 2012

Hi Markus,

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Markus Krenn <Markus.Krenn at ima-mst.at> wrote:
> Hello ROS community!
>
> The problem is already posted here:
> http://answers.ros.org/question/3544/using-java-actionlib-on-android-doesnt-work

actionlib isn't very well supported at the moment. The implementation
that is currently part of the rosjava stack is an older version that
was written during the times of JNI rosjava. It has only quickly been
ported to use the new rosjava.

That being said, I've pointed a colleague who has been regularly using
actionlib with rosjava to your post.

I would suggest first trying the pubsub tutorial with your current
network setup. If that works, you can be sure that the current
actionlib implementation, and not rosjava, is to blame.

> A short summary: I'm trying to establish a ROS connection between an Android
> device and an Ubuntu in a virtual machine. Each device is in the same
> network. "rosnode list" on Ubuntu will find the Android node, but for some
> reason that node can't communicate with the rosnodes running on Ubuntu
> (where roscore is running, too).
>
> Did I forget something? Is the combination “rosjava on android and roscore
> on a virtual Ubuntu machine” possible at all? Has anybody tried that before?

This is definitely possible. Functionality like that is in use daily.

> Is there a working up-to-date tutorial for android rosjava? The ones I have
> found so far (rosjava.android has some tutorials and there’s a Fibonacci
> actionlib tutorial somewhere) I always had to adapt to make them runnable
> (there seems to be a change in specifying the node name, which hasn’t been
> updated in those tutorials. They are compilable but won’t actually run).

No. Most of the documentation for rosjava is in javadoc. We're working
on updating the example projects to serve as tutorials and will
eventually point existing wiki documentation to their respective
javadoc replacements.

> I hope someone out there can help me.
>
> greets, markus

Damon Kohler
Software Engineer

Google Germany GmbH
Dienerstr. 12
80331 München
AG Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: John Herlihy, Graham Law, Lloyd Martin, Kent Walker
Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat
sind, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren den Absender
und löschen Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge. Vielen Dank.

This email is confidential. If you are not the right addressee please
do not forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this
e-mail including any attachments. Thanks.