[ros-users] Hydro Apha Release

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Tue Apr 16 23:02:19 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

We're pleased to announce the Hydro Alpha build is now available.  It
includes over 180 packages already. We expect that number to continue to
grow rapidly.  You can see the status of Hydro packages on this page:
http://www.ros.org/debbuild/hydro.html

If you are a maintainer please look at what packages have been released and
consider releasing yours as soon as your upstream dependencies have
been satisfied.  If you are blocked on another package being released
please contact the maintainer.  And if you cannot reach the maintainer
please email ros-release at code.ros.org (join if you aren't a member
already).

If you are planning to release into Hydro there are new tutorials for the
new bloom tool.

Bloom Release Tutorials: http://ros.org/wiki/bloom

There are three forms of metadata for a package which need to be submitted.

 - To be build into debian packages the package must be added to the hydro
release file.  Which will point to the gbp release repo. (This step is part
of the bloom release process and is covered by the Bloom tutorials)
 - To be added to the documentation index the package must be added to the
hydro doc file.
http://www.ros.org/wiki/Get%20Involved#Documenting_Your_.2A-ros-pkg_Repository_on_ROS.org

 - To have continuous integration run the package must be added to the
hydro-devel.yaml

Note: Some of these processes will change soon when we land the updates
related to REP 137.  When that comes we will email a updated procedure and
update the documentation.

In the last couple years there have been a lot of ROS packages released
however some people can no longer continue to maintain their packages like
they used to do.  As such we have built into the new rosdistro format a
maintainer status field which will become active as soon as we finalize REP
137.  In the mean time please review what packages you actively develop or
would be interested in contributing to.  In the past there have been
several of us which have been able to pick up packages which were partially
orphaned, however the few of us who have been doing this can not keep doing
this in the long term.  As such if you rely on a package please consider
stepping up as a maintainer going forward if the current maintainer no
longer has time and ability to maintain it.

As soon as we can land the new infrastructure we will be putting up a
maintainer status dashboard to make the status more visible.  When this is
available, we will start a process for evaluating
and transferring maintainer status of packages.

-- Your Friendly ROS Release Team

Updated packages since the last announcement include:

Packages Added:
ros-hydro-actionlib : 1.10.0
ros-hydro-audio-capture : 0.2.2
ros-hydro-audio-common : 0.2.2
ros-hydro-audio-common-msgs : 0.2.2
ros-hydro-audio-play : 0.2.2
ros-hydro-rqt-common-plugins : 0.2.14
ros-hydro-rqt-launch : 0.2.14
ros-hydro-sound-play : 0.2.2
ros-hydro-camera1394 : 1.9.1
ros-hydro-libsegwayrmp : 0.2.5
ros-hydro-object-recognition-reconstruction : 0.2.23
ros-hydro-object-recognition-tod : 0.4.15
ros-hydro-object-recognition-transparent-objects : 0.3.15

Packages Removed:

Packages Updated:
ros-hydro-camera-info-manager-py : 0.2.0 -> 0.2.1
ros-hydro-ecto-opencv : 0.4.23 -> 0.4.24
ros-hydro-object-recognition-core : 0.5.1 -> 0.5.2
ros-hydro-octomap : 1.5.90 -> 1.6.0
ros-hydro-octovis : 1.5.90 -> 1.6.0
ros-hydro-urg-c : 1.0.401 -> 1.0.402
ros-hydro-collada-parser : 1.10.3 -> 1.10.4
ros-hydro-collada-urdf : 1.10.3 -> 1.10.4
ros-hydro-console-bridge : 0.2.1 -> 0.2.2
ros-hydro-joint-state-publisher : 1.10.3 -> 1.10.4
ros-hydro-resource-retriever : 1.10.3 -> 1.10.4
ros-hydro-rosconsole-bridge : 0.3.1 -> 0.3.2
ros-hydro-urdf : 1.10.3 -> 1.10.4
ros-hydro-urdf-parser : 1.10.3 -> 1.10.4