[ros-users] Roll out of new rosdistro today - expect service interruptions

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Wed Apr 24 00:20:31 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Austin Hendrix <legotown at aol.com> wrote:

> Confirmed; it was broken with the old version of rosdep, but it's working
> again with the latest version.
>
> As a note, this update breaks the PR2 stable releases that were packaged
> as DVD images, since required files are now missing from github. For those
> of us trying to deliver production-quality robots on top of ROS, this is
> unacceptable.

Yeah, we need to make rosdep more self suficient, and I think your
proposals on the buildsystem sig should help with that.

As for the missing files, we have built-in future proofing mechanisms like
spec versions and notification of permanently moved files into rosdistro
and rosdep in order to give more meaningful errors when something has
changed. Unfortunately, we cannot do anything about the existing versions
out in the wild which have hard coded locations and other nasty things.

In the mean time, the best we can do is to work with you offline to try and
resolve this in the short term.

> -Austin
>

> On 04/22/2013 08:00 PM, Dirk Thomas wrote:
>
>> You have been using two incompatible versions of "rosdep" and "rosdistro"
>> during the roll out phase.
>> Please make sure to update all packages as mentioned in the second
>> announcement email (https://code.ros.org/lurker/**
>> message/20130423.025734.**7689bd35.en.html<https://code.ros.org/lurker/message/20130423.025734.7689bd35.en.html>
>> ).
>>
>> rosdep will continue to work as-is.
>> It is neither necessary to delete sources nor to re-initialization the
>> cache.
>>
>> - Dirk
>>

>> On 22.04.2013 18:02, Austin Hendrix wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like rosdep is broken (again). We have users here who depend on
>>> being able to set up new accounts and machines on a regular basis, and this
>>> is setting back time-cortical work (prepping robots to ship to ICRA and
>>> ROSCon).
>>>
>>> Will we be required to delete our sources (
>>> /etc/ros/rosdep/sources.list.d ) and re-initialize them when this is over?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Austin
>>>
>>> On Apr 22, 2013, at 9:15 AM, Dirk Thomas <dthomas at osrfoundation.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Today I will start rolling out the new rosdistro files and

William Woodall
ROS Development Team
william at osrfoundation.org
http://williamjwoodall.com/