[ros-users] What is ROS 2.0?

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Fri Apr 26 20:57:18 UTC 2013

Hi Marcus,

ROS has been around for more than 5 years now and we've developed a great
user base and it has proven to be a successful platform.  There are many
things that people like about ROS, but we know that there are many areas
for improvement.  ROS 2.0 is an abstract name for developing the next
generation of ROS.  Over the years we have learned many areas where ROS
could be improved and there are many tools which exist today that did not
exist when ROS was originally created.

It's more of a process of reviewing and improving elements of the
ecosystem.  The first part of this was our review and overhaul of the build
system to enable us to do more powerful things at the library level.  We've
spent the last several months upgrading the infrastructure to leverage the
strengths of the new build system.  The next stage we planning to review
and develop the communications libraries in ROS.

Here's a link to a presentation which Dirk and I put together a few months
ago:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ScMOC7Gr4OY-j6XP5dPWfVsvdGBgaeWjHdXOd_JsTfc/edit?usp=sharing

It's a long process and we're in the very early stages of planning and
exploration.  One of our biggest steps right now is to develop a process by
which we can coordinate the community in productive manner.  Our first step
will be to gather use cases from the community to be able to derive design
requirements.  If you or anyone is interested in participating please be on
the lookout for more postings on this mailing list.

Tully