[ros-users] where is rosmake built in the groovy build from source sequence

William Woodall wwoodall at willowgarage.com
Wed Jan 2 18:58:44 UTC 2013

This should go on http://answers.ros.org/ (once it is back up).

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Robert Teeter <bteeter2006 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I have followed the document "Installing on Ubuntu from source". I am
> building on a Raspberry PI using raspbain.
> Fuerte builds and installs in this environment. I have been able to get to
> section 2.2.3 "Build the ROS Stack"
> and then the problem occurs.
> It appears that when building the catkin system the basic commands should
> be built but they are not.

Once you run `catkin_make_isolated --install --install-space
/opt/ros/groovy` then rosmake should be at `/opt/ros/groovy/bin/rosmake`.
You should be able to run rosmake after sourcing /opt/ros/groovy/setup.bash.

> I have searched the tree from /opt/ros/groovy level and the only rosmake
> found is at catkin_ws/src/rosmake.

You search in /opt/ros/groovy and found it in your workspace? That doesn't
make sense to me, you mean that the only place you can find it is in your
workspace?

> It appears either that the command has not been built or installed in the
> correct location.
> Where in the build sequence does rosmake get created and installed.

rosmake is a python script, it exists in the source space at
catkin_ws/src/rosmake/scripts/rosmake and in the install space at
<install_prefix>/bin/rosmake after you build and install the workspace.

> And is the correct location for the executable in /opt/ros/groovy/bin or
> in /usr/local/bin.

The location depends on your install prefix, it will be the first if you
use /opt/ros/groovy.  It would only be the latter if you explicitly told it
to install to /usr/local.

> Question:
> Is there a generic porting instructions available or is the best I am
> going to do is the above document?

Those instructions (other than resolving dependencies) are generic and your
best bet.

> Bob Teeter

William Woodall
Willow Garage - Software Engineer