[ros-users] Packaging Question

Aris Synodinos asynodin at mech.upatras.gr
Fri Jun 7 18:50:01 UTC 2013

Hello Allen,

I would suggest that you contact the pioneer-sig here
http://ros.org/wiki/sig/robots/Pioneer.

As you can see, Dereck Wonnacott has already provided a groovy version of
the p2os at github https://github.com/dawonn/ros-p2os-driver and is catkin
compatible. If you search a little more you can find a few more
alternatives, for example, I forked Dereck's git and added some more
functionality such as Sonar and Arm capabilities here
https://github.com/progtologist/ros-p2os-driver

Anyway, get in touch with the pioneer sig and I am sure you can find more
info there!
Regards,
Aris

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM, William Woodall
<william at osrfoundation.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Hunter Allen <hunter.allen at vanderbilt.edu
> > wrote:
>
>>  Hey all,
>>
>> I've never done this before... New to the whole open source community. I
>> sent links to the new repositories, and I was just wondering what I need to
>> do next... The P2OS driver is meant to replace the broken-since-fuerte
>> package that currently exists.
>>

> Great! I'm sure people in the community will find this useful.
>

>> My question: how do I go about announcing this, and how do I modify the
>> wiki so that it knows my package exists?
>>

> Whether your are using catkin or rosbuild, you can get your package
> documented on the wiki by following these instructions:
>

> http://www.ros.org/wiki/Get%20Involved#Indexing_Your_.2A-ros-pkg_Repository_for_Documentation_Generation
>
> If you are replacing a package with the same name, then I would first say
> you need to get in contact with the author of the current package and see
> if he is ok with you doing that. If he is, or you cannot get a hold of him,
> then you can release your version for new versions of ROS OR you can
> release your package under a slightly different name.  Either way the above
> link will get your code into the ros.org/wiki. If you choose to release
> your package under a different name (to prevent confusion) you can edit the
> current p2os wiki page to point to your new p2os driver: ros.org/wiki/p2os
>

>> Here is the link, again: https://github.com/allenh1/p2os
>>
>> Any and all advice is welcome! I have been using ROS for a while now, and
>> I'm excited to contribute to such an amazing piece of open-source software.
>> I'd also like to help with the REP's, but don't know how to get started.
>>

> The REP's are usually championed by a SIG, a list of which is here:
>
> http://ros.org/wiki/sig
>
> There are some REP's that are not associated with SIG's, however, so you
> can see a list of proposed changes and additions to all the REP's here:
>
> https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/issues?state=open
>
> Other general information about REP's can be found in REP-0001:
>
> http://ros.org/reps/rep-0001.html
>
> Finally, we try to reserve the ros-user's mailing list for announcements,
> so questions like these are usually best asked on:
>
> http://answers.ros.org/questions/
>
> See our support guidelines for future questions:
>
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/Support
>
> Thanks for your contributions!
>

>> thanks,
>> -Hunter Allen
>> Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
>> Vanderbilt University
>> Human-Machine Teaming Lab

> William Woodall
> ROS Development Team
> william at osrfoundation.org
> http://williamjwoodall.com/

Aris Synodinos
PhD Student
Robotics Group
Mechanical and Aeronautics Engineering Department
Tel. +30-2610-996248
e-mail: asynodin at mech.upatras.gr
Web: http://robotics.mech.upatras.gr/