[ros-users] urdfpy - URDF parser in Python

Eric Cousineau eacousineau at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 04:50:47 UTC 2013

First of all, thank you all for your work on this package.

I have made some modifications, trying out a preliminary implementation
of XML interface via basic reflection (or maybe just serialization...)
to accommodate parsing and validating URDF files.
I tried to mimic Gazebo*'s SDF implementation in C++ for native Python code.

I have pushed this code to the forked "reflection" branch:
https://github.com/eacousineau/robot_model_py
The README.md contains some more detailed info on what was changed.

Can I ask your opinions of this change? Could it potentially be merged in?

Also, is there a reflection / serialization library like this already
out there for Python?
(I looked around but did not seem to find any. pyxser seems to do direct
serialization in the sense of pickle. Amara looks like it might be
promising)

* The newer, non-ROS version: http://gazebosim.org/

- Eric