[ros-users] How Many Robots use ROS Navigation?

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 17:27:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM, David Lu!! <davidvlu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Consequently, if you are using navigation on your robot and not using ROS
> Navigation, I'd be curious to hear why.

For our (now retired) driverless car, there were two reasons not to use ROS
navigation:

 * Navigation using the DARPA-defined Road Network Definition File (RNDF)
had already been implemented for the Urban Challenge competition, before
porting to ROS.

 * The standard cmd_vel (geometry_msgs/Twist) interface that works so well
for most robots is unnatural for vehicles using Ackermann steering. They
prefer something like this:

 http://docs.ros.org/api/ackermann_msgs/html/msg/AckermannDrive.html

I believe that kind of interface could be added to the ROS navigation
stack. If I were still working on that vehicle, I would probably try to do
that.
--
 joq