[ros-users] ROS & DDS

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs at aist.go.jp
Thu Feb 13 02:40:11 UTC 2014

On 13 February 2014 11:23, Brian Gerkey <gerkey at osrfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Geoffrey Biggs
> <geoffrey.biggs at aist.go.jp> wrote:
> > On 13 February 2014 08:47, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am curious to hear from anyone with experience using DDS on low-end
> >> micro-controllers or embedded systems.
> >>
> >> Is it feasible to create firmware with a DDS interface for ROS messages?
> >

> > RTI has a small-footprint implementation for embedded systems. I haven't
> > used it so I can't comment on how good (or how small) it is, but they
> are at
> > least aware of the need.
>
> There's also a small-footprint implementation from Twin Oaks, intended
> for use in embedded systems (I haven't tried it):
> http://www.twinoakscomputing.com/coredx/coredx_size
>
> Anybody know whether a minimal DDS implementation can be done in
> hardware (e.g., VHDL)?

You could certainly do the wire protocol in hardware. The QoS features
could be done provided you know what data types will be used in advance so
buffers can be allocated (software implementations have the same
restriction when real-time communication is used), but I don't think it
would be easy or pretty.

Geoff