[ros-users] sensor_msgs type for touch?

Chad Rockey chadrockey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 15:08:04 UTC 2014

Hi Ingo,

We considered allowing sensor_msgs/FluidPressure (originally called
Pressure) to be fulfill this role, but ultimately Fluid Pressure is used
much differently than force pressure.

Here's the review:
https://code.ros.org/gf/project/ros/mailman/?_forum_action=ForumMessageBrowse&thread_id=91558&action=ListThreads&mailman_id=20

There's definitely enough robots using this kind of sensor to potentially
justify adding a message and we have some existing messages to use as a
baseline for what should go into common_msgs (we like to see a history of
proven uses).

If you want to propose and lead a review for the message, you can follow
the instructions here:
http://wiki.ros.org/sensor_msgs/Reviews

Ultimately it will depend if the reviewers can agree that the ultimate
message will work cleanly across different implementations of hardware.

- Chad