[ros-users] Cross Compiling ROS

Dr. Markus Eich markus.eich at dfki.de
Tue May 27 10:46:13 UTC 2014

Dear Javier,

I would recommend to use the Yocto Project http://www.yoctoproject.org/
and bitbake for cross compiling. There exists even some meta-packages
for this.

https://github.com/bmwcarit/meta-ros

This runs very nicely and is relatively easy to configure. It is build
on ROS Hydro. I would migrate to Hydro anyway, because Fuerte is EOL.

I am working with Yocto/Dora branch and ROS, using the meta-ros packages.

Cheers,

Markus

Am 27.05.2014 12:13, schrieb Javier Almansa:
> Hello everybody. My name is Javier and I am new in this mailing list.
>
> I work with embedded systems (bare metal programming and embedded
> GNU/Linux too) and I am learning ROS by my own at home.
>
> some months ago I wrote an entry in my personal blog
> (http://industriaembebidahoy.com/efsystems/es/node/61) about how to
> cross-compile ROS Fuerte for a RPI Board with a with a BuildRoot based
> rootfs (http://buildroot.uclibc.org/) based on other post I found in
> Internet (http://uchile-spl.wikidot.com/).
>
> Now, Im trying to add support for ROS in Buildroot for automatic
> cross-compile of ROS in new rootfs for any architecture supported for
> Buildroot.
>
> I have used rosinstall-generator to obtain a list of packages for a
> ros-base groovy instalation whith the idea of add all this packages
> into a virtual package in BuildRoot, but I have some troubles when I
> try to cross-compile.
>
> My problem is the dependencies among packages, so I would like to know
> if anyone could tell me which is the correct order for compile and
> install separate packages without dependencies problems so I could
> configure Buildroot for doing the compilation in the correct order.
>
> Also, I think that not all packages are needed for a running system,
> so I would like to know which packages I could omit for an embedded
> system (I will not develop in this system, only run).
>
> Anyone could help me?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Javier.

Dr.-Ing. Markus Eich

  Senior Researcher
  Marine Inspection Robotics
  Space Robotics

  Besuchsadresse der Nebengeschäftstelle:
  DFKI GmbH
  Robotics Innovation Center
  Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
  28359 Bremen, Germany

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:
  DFKI GmbH
  Robotics Innovation Center
  Robert-Hooke-Straße 1
  28359 Bremen, Germany

  Tel.:     +49 421 178 45-4105
  Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   markus.eich at dfki.de

  (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
  Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
  USt-Id.Nr.:    DE 148646973