[ros-users] Cross Compiling ROS

Javier Almansa javier.almansa at efsystems.net
Tue May 27 10:13:14 UTC 2014

Hello everybody. My name is Javier and I am new in this mailing list.

I work with embedded systems (bare metal programming and embedded GNU/Linux
too) and I am learning ROS by my own at home.

some months ago I wrote an entry in my personal blog (
http://industriaembebidahoy.com/efsystems/es/node/61) about how to
cross-compile ROS Fuerte for a RPI Board with a with a BuildRoot based
rootfs (http://buildroot.uclibc.org/) based on other post I found in
Internet (http://uchile-spl.wikidot.com/).

Now, Im trying to add support for ROS in Buildroot for automatic
cross-compile of ROS in new rootfs for any architecture supported for
Buildroot.

I have used rosinstall-generator to obtain a list of packages for a
ros-base groovy instalation whith the idea of add all this packages into a
virtual package in BuildRoot, but I have some troubles when I try to
cross-compile.

My problem is the dependencies among packages, so I would like to know if
anyone could tell me which is the correct order for compile and install
separate packages without dependencies problems so I could configure
Buildroot for doing the compilation in the correct order.

Also, I think that not all packages are needed for a running system, so I
would like to know which packages I could omit for an embedded system (I
will not develop in this system, only run).

Anyone could help me?

Thanks in advance.

Javier.