[ros-users] Node for iNemo-M1 discovery 9DOF IMU

Meier Lorenz lm at inf.ethz.ch
Sat Nov 1 16:24:31 UTC 2014

Hi Walter,

The MAVLink protocol has been written for the the application domain you are operating in and the mavros bridge does all the conversions to the ROS standards. You might want to have a look at it:
https://github.com/mavlink/mavros

The huge benefit from using the protocol would be that you gain a lot of support from existing tools, and you are compatible to a whole ecosystem of devices.

And the messages which already support all the data you are getting:
http://mavlink.org/messages/common#HIGHRES_IMU

http://mavlink.org/messages/common#ATTITUDE_QUATERNION
http://mavlink.org/messages/common#ATTITUDE_QUATERNION_COV
(Note: This representation doesn’t suffer from Gimbal lock, there are conversion functions from rotation matrices provided in the MAVLink library in case the filter doesn’t operate on quaternions directly)

You can use QGroundControl to visualize the serial stream directly (Main menu, PRO -> Plots):
http://qgroundcontrol.org/downloads

Tips for integration are provided here:
http://qgroundcontrol.org/dev/mavlink_onboard_integration_tutorial

Let me know if you have further questions or run into issues.

-Lorenz