[ros-users] ROS Bug Squashing Day

Brian Gerkey gerkey at osrfoundation.org
Tue Dec 8 23:07:50 UTC 2015

With the goal of periodically making progress on the backlog of bugs
and enhancements to ROS and Gazebo, at OSRF we've started doing Bug
Squashing Days. We assemble a document listing bugs, feature requests,
and PRs that we'd like to handle, then for that one day we drop
everything else and focus on that list. It's a great way to not only
shrink the backlog but also become familiar with more of the code base
(often people are working on issues in repos where they don't usually
contribute).

Our next Bug Squashing Day, which will focus on a subset of ROS 1 core
libraries and tools, is tomorrow (Wednesday, Dec 8th). This time we're
going to try something new, which is to invite all of you!

Here's the list of issues:
  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DPZuBDyUyOVNkKCOtwpo-nxGba7aSJdvP6ncqRZOBEU/edit
If you'd like to help out, all you have to do is add a comment
claiming a given item in the list (be sure to include your GitHub ID
in the comment). Then get to work. The OSRF team will be watching
ticket traffic closely and trying to be as responsive as possible
(during California working hours, at least). We'll try to merge as
much as we can while we're in the thick of it tomorrow, but there will
likely be some leftover work to be finished up later.

We'll do these days monthly, iterating through different major topics
(e.g., Gazebo instead of ROS 1). For the next one, we'll consider
adding a process for getting community nominations for issues to be
tackled.

Your contributions on the day and feedback on how it works are most
welcome. Your experience will be enhanced if you order out for pizza
(that's what we'll do).

brian.