[ros-users] Statistics of ROS usage

Eduardo Ferrera eduardo.ferrera at uni-due.de
Thu Jul 2 09:03:16 UTC 2015

Dear Tully,

Can I also kindly ask for a possible improvement of the new survey? (if
at the end are you planning to do a new one)

I have a lecture where I teach to the students how to use ROS, but I
always miss something in the initial presentation: a graph that shows
why learning ROS is important. I will suggest to maybe include the
following questions:

- Which Robotic Operating system was you using before ROS?
- Why did you change to ROS? (include several options here and make the
people choose?)
- How important is knowing ROS for your current work (from 0 to 100%)
- How much do you use ROS in your current work? (from 0 to 100% of your
working time)

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

Eduardo Ferrera

P.s: Feel free to change the questions as much as you like.

On 02.07.2015 08:32, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda via ros-users wrote:
> El Dimecres, 1 de juliol de 2015, a les 18:48:57, Tully Foote via ros-users va
> escriure:
>> Hi Leopold,
>>
>> I'm not sure which survey you're asking about. From this thread,
>> http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/ROS-Release-Timeline-td4020078.html I
>> found two survey results. I think the first one is the one you want.
>>
>> This one covers more of the OS Versions
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzNmzxy4pVGMNDdxNFNDblJTN1k
>>
>> This covers more of the ROS Versions
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzNmzxy4pVGMZHd2b1BSWVlHVHM
>>
>> Note that these were collected in the middle of 2013.
>>
>> Tully
> Thanks Tully,
>
> that was the info that I was looking for.
>
> Could I ask you kindly to make another survey?
> (we are in July, now it's time ;-))
>
> If I could suggest, I would add some questions about the OS preferences,
> releasing cycles of ROS, install preferences source/binary, wishes about the
> packages (-dev, -dbg, some more granularity, ...)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Leopold
>
>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Jochen Sprickerhof via ros-users <
>>
>> ros-users at lists.ros.org> wrote:
>>> Some of it is over here:
>>> http://roscon.ros.org/2013/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/maintainership.pdf
>>>
>>> Maybe Tully still has the rest?
>>>
>>> Cheers Jochen

Eduardo Ferrera
University of Duisburg-Essen
Lehrstuhl für Pervasive Computing
Networked Embedded Systems Group (NES)
Schützenbahn 70, S-A 319         Tel: +49-201-183-7294
45127 Essen                      Fax: +49-201-183-4176
Germany                          E-mail: eduardo.ferrera at uni-due.de