[ros-users] New Versions of rviz

Daniele Calisi daniele.calisi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:33:53 UTC 2015

Hi William Woodall,
I remember to have read somewhere that rviz was old and rqt was the new
way. As far as I see this is wrong and putting rviz inside rqt is just a
mess (since rviz is already a full-featured application). What are the real
relation between rviz and rqt?

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 12:37 AM, William Woodall <william at osrfoundation.org>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> We have new versions of rviz in both Indigo (1.11.7 up from 1.11.4) and
> Hydro (1.10.19 up from 1.10.18) in the shadow fixed repository, and I am
> looking for some help testing these new versions out.
>
> You can see a summary of the changes here:
>
> - Indigo: http://docs.ros.org/indigo/changelogs/rviz/changelog.html
> - Hydro: http://docs.ros.org/hydro/changelogs/rviz/changelog.html
>
> The shadow fixed repository, for those who do not know, is the staging
> repository which we use for testing before making new versions public. You
> can think of it as a place for release candidates. See
> http://wiki.ros.org/ShadowRepository for information about the process
> and how you can try out packages from it.
>
> If you use rviz on Indigo or Hydro and have some spare cycles I would
> appreciate you testing out the new versions either from shadow fixed or by
> building it from source. Any issues you might find, please file them on the
> rviz issue tracker.
>
> I'll keep the "release candidates" in the shadow fixed repository for
> about week unless we run into problems.
>
> Thanks!
>
> P.S. the link to the Indigo changes above may take some time to catch up,
> if you don't see 1.11.7, look here instead:
> https://github.com/ros-visualization/rviz/blob/11fcdadbbcc4c9d38a0bd4d580be6f0b49cbbc47/CHANGELOG.rst
>
> --
> William Woodall
> ROS Development Team