[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 on microcontrollers with RIOT

Loïc Dauphin ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 13:56:33 UTC 2017

Hello !

I'm here to give you some news about my project of porting ROS2 to RIOT.
[I have a working proof-of-concept !](https://github.com/astralien3000/riot-ros2)

While porting the ROS2 code to RIOT, I implemented 2 new RMW which are not based on DDS :
 - using NDN
 - using MQTT-SN

To make it work on microcontrollers (they don't support the C++ standard used in rclcpp), I also implemented a part of rclc.

As a result, I was able to [make it work on a real robot](https://youtu.be/YvPssYSgLYY).

The hardware running the ROS2 nodes are two [ARM Cortex-M0+ boards](https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Board%3A-SAMR21-xpro), with wireless communication. The microcontroller, ATSAMR21G18A, is quite small, with only 32Kb RAM and 256Kb Flash, compared to the 192Kb RAM and 1Mb Flash STM32F407IG used for the previous NuttX-based example.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-on-microcontrollers-with-riot/1293/5) or reply to this email to respond.