[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 on microcontrollers with RIOT

William Woodall ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 15:13:51 UTC 2017

That's really cool!

Did you have any trouble with code size? I recently looked the code sizes on a desktop machine and they were not huge, but still big for the micro you're using. There were some low hanging things we could optionally turn off to help with that. E.g. since all of our error strings are set through a macro we could compile them out. They actually account for a non-trivial portion of the code size at this point.

Did you have any trouble with rcl? I guess that there are some features creeping in that won't work on a micro (use of env variables and/or filesystem checks). This is mostly due to the security features which can be turned off at compile time, but I'm curious what else you might have needed to change to make it work.

Also, I don't see mention of `rcutils` anywhere, so I'm guess you're using an older release of ROS 2 rather than beta 2 or master?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-on-microcontrollers-with-riot/1293/6) or reply to this email to respond.